Community service programme
Wild About…Marine Conservation Careers week
(Week 1: 24-28 June & week 2: 8-12 July 2013)
Wild About Exploration…SANCCOB’s Environmental Education Centre will be hosting a Wild About…Marine Conservation Careers week from 24-28 June & 8-12 July 2013 (5 days each). During our Wild About…Marine Conservation Careers week you will become a young seabird rehabilitator at SANCCOB and get a taste of what it’s like to work with penguins, seagulls, cormorants, gannets and many other seabird species. You will work side by side with SANCCOB’s bird rehabilitators, interns and volunteers.
Each day you will spend either the morning or afternoon working in and around the many different type’s seabirds in SANCCOB’s care. Each day, you will also be introduced to a different marine conservation career through a talk by a professional working in the marine conservation field. Speakers may include veterinarians, researchers, biologists, conservation officers, animal keepers and others that work in the field of marine conservation.
Who should participate?
- Learners between the ages of 16 -18 years. Learners must be 16 years old on the first day of volunteering. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate any learners that are younger than 16.
- School learners who have to perform a certain amount of community service hours as part of school subjects such as Life Orientation.
- Learners that need to do Job shadowing as part of a school subject.
- Learners that need to learn a skill as part of The President’s Award or The Duke of Edinburgh Award.
What should I know?
- All protective clothing will be supplied by SANCCOB
- A small fee will apply to cover the cost of the programme (R40/day)
- Upon completion of the programme, SANCCOB will send you a certificate of participation and complete all other forms that are required by your school.
- Space is limited to10 people (5 people per shift) so make sure your application is returned to us early.
- Successful candidates will be notified via email or telephonically.
- Learners will be able to choose which shifts they would like to volunteer (either mornings or afternoons), with a maximum of 5 learners per shift.
- Attending the first day of Career week is mandatory (for induction purposes).
- Learners will be able to work between 5-40 hours during Career week. Learners that require more hours to be completed can continue to volunteer at SANCCOB after the conclusion of Career Week.
- The attendance of Guest speaker talks are compulsory for successful completion of each day.
If this is you, follow these steps to apply:
- Applications will open from 31 January - 31 May 2013
- Once you have read the regulations and requirements of participation, complete and return the Application, Indemnity form and a copy of your ID or birth certificate via e-mail or fax.
- Forms can be downloaded or collected at SANCCOB. It´s important that you submit all the information in order to be considered for this programme.
Space available during Career Week 2013
WEEK 1 MORNING (08H00 – 14H00) AFTERNOON (13H00 – 17H00) WEEK 2 MORNING (08H00 – 14H00) AFTERNOON (13H00 – 17H00) 24th June 2013 (Monday) - *COMPULSARY * Full Full 8TH July 2013 (Monday) - *COMPULSARY * Full Full 25th June 2013 (Tuesday) Full Full 9th July 2013 (Tuesday) Full Full 26th June 2013 (Wednesday) Full Full 10th July 2013 (Wednesday) Full 1 27th June 2013 (Thursday) Full Full 11th July 2013 (Thursday) 2 3 28th June 2013 (Friday) Full
12th July 2013 (Friday) 2 3
Any further questions or queries can be sent to:
SANCCOB Education Team
Tel:(021) 557 6155
Fax:(021) 557 8804