SANCCOB seeks to employ a Volunteer and Intern Coordinator to join their dynamic team in Table View, Cape Town. The successful incumbent will report to the Education Supervisor of SANCCOB and will be responsible for developing and managing the volunteer, intern and animal professional exchange programmes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Market and develop SANCCOB’s volunteer and internship programmes to individuals and to volunteering organisations against predetermined financial targets.
- Build and maintain relationships with volunteer companies and caseworkers, both existing and new.
- Recruit volunteers and interns and ensure that they are appropriately placed within the organisation.
- Be responsible for the flow of volunteers and interns at SANCCOB to meet capacity needs and according to set quotas, including monthly scheduling and rostering.
- Coordinate all aspects of the volunteer and internship programmes, including day-to-day management of volunteers and interns.
- Coordinate orientation sessions, networking and training sessions to provide volunteers and interns with knowledge and skills to contribute in a meaningful way during their time at SANCCOB.
- Offer advice, information and support to volunteers and interns, and external organisations, through face-to-face, telephone and e-mail contact.
- Prepare surveys to evaluate the programmes, provide reference letters and certificates.
- Host open days and monthly social events.
- Maintain databases and all other administrative duties related to volunteers and interns.
- Manage the volunteer and intern budget.
- Build relationships with current and new volunteers, ensuring they feel appreciated.
- Be the contact person for SANCCOB internship programmes through which SANCCOB acts as a host institution and be responsible for all communication and reporting.
- Facilitate the set-up of intern training plans and mentor meetings between interns and SANCCOB assigned mentors to ensure a structured internship programme.
- Coordinate all volunteers and interns during crises situations such as oil spills or any other large influx of birds.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to develop a positive relationship with a diverse group of individuals, while maintaining a strong sense of professionalism.
- Practical problem solving and organisational skills, with great attention to detail.
- Ability to develop written content and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A friendly and positive attitude.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to work pro-actively as part of a team and also individually.
- Ability to mentor and coach others.
Experience and qualifications:
- Previous people management/coordination experience essential.
- Knowledge of the volunteer (local and/or international) industry will be an advantage.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- High school diploma (a tertiary qualification in human resources and/or people management related fields will be an advantage).
- Clear criminal and credit record.
- Work permit, permanent residency or a South African citizen.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please send your CV (max 3 pages) with contactable referees and a letter of motivation for attention of the Education Supervisor, Sharnay Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 10 April 2019.
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants chosen for interviews.